Isn’t pizza great? As long as it meets a few basic criteria (crust, sauce, cheese, etc.) whatever the toppings, it’s still pizza. That’s similar to hearing loss. As long as you are having trouble hearing sound, whether it’s due to a blockage, age, loud noise, or whatever else, it’s still hearing loss.
Typically, when you first notice hearing loss (regardless of the type), the first thing you need to do is attempt to stop the damage. This is just one simple step you can take to protect your hearing from further harm.
Tip 1: Clean your Ears
Remember when your parents used to always ask “did you wash behind your ears”? But in terms of the health of your hearing, it’s the inner ear, not behind the ears, that we’re worried about.
Your hearing can be helped in several ways by keeping your ears clear of earwax:
- Over time, untreated hearing loss affects your brain and your ability to decipher sounds.
- Sound waves will have a more difficult time reaching your inner ear if you have substantial buildup. Your hearing becomes jeopardized as a result.
- If you wear hearing aids, earwax will also interfere with their functionality. If this occurs you might think that your hearing is getting even worse.
- Your ability to hear can be impeded by swelling which is caused by profound ear infection as a result of dirty ears. Your functional hearing will typically return when then the infection clears.
If you notice earwax accumulation, it’s absolutely not suggested that you dig around in there with a cotton swab. Cotton swabs can push the earwax further up into the ear canal and can cause even more damage. Instead, use over-the-counter ear drops.
Tip 2: Loud noise that could result in hearing loss should be avoided
This one should be fairly obvious. The issue is that most individuals have no clue what a “loud noise” actually is. it isn’t just blaring speakers or loud rock concerts that damage your hearing, highway driving can be noisy enough to harm your ears over a long period of time. Your ears can also be damaged by things like your lawn mower engine. And, be careful to protect your hearing during those 4th of July fireworks!
Some practical ways to avoid damaging noises include:
- Using an app on your phone to let you know when decibel levels reach unsafe thresholds.
- When you’re watching movies or listening to music, watch your headphone volume. Most cellphones have built-in alerts when you’re getting close to a dangerous level.
- Using hearing protection when loud situations are inescapable. Do you work on a noisy factory floor? Do you really want to go to that rock concert? That’s fine. Just wear the necessary hearing protection. Modern earmuffs and earplugs offer ample protection.
The damage to your ears from loud sounds will accumulate slowly. So, even if your hearing “seems” good after a noisy event, that doesn’t mean it is. Your hearing can only be properly assessed by a hearing specialist.
Tip 3: If you have any hearing loss, have it treated
Hearing loss generally builds over time. So, the sooner you catch the damage, the better you’ll be able to stop further damage. So when it comes to hearing loss, this is why having it treated is so crucial. Your hearing will be in the best possible condition when you observe the treatment plan we will provide for you.
Treatment works like this:
- Some, but not all damage can be avoided by hearing aids. For instance, hearing aids will prevent you from turning your television volume up so loud it harms your ears. Because hearing aids stop this damage, they can also prevent further degeneration of your hearing.
- We will help you avoid further damage by providing you with personalized advice and guidelines.
- Mental strain, social withdrawal, and other hearing loss-related health problems can be prevented by hearing aids.
In the long run you will be benefited by wearing hearing aids
Treatment is one of the principal ways to prevent hearing loss in spite of the fact that there’s no cure. The correct treatment will help you maintain your current level of hearing and prevent it from getting worse.
In the years to come you will be providing yourself with the best opportunity for healthy hearing if you get hearing loss treatment from us, use hearing protection, and practice good hygiene!